Saturday, July 29, 2006

I suppose PETA would be on Batman if he punched that cat...



So, after a cat-themed museum robbery, and on admittedly circumstantial evidence and one guard's sighting; Batman shows up to bring in the retired Selina Kyle. He asks her, "for old time's sake, come along with me quietly!" Oh yeah, come in without a fight like Catwoman did every other time...wait a minute.

Retired or not, Selina still has game: in a dress, that from this angle looks like a hoopskirt, she manages to hold off Batman with a cat--

All right, let's look at that first: Batman trained for how many years? I'm pretty sure in appearances prior to this, we've seen Batman fight off lions, tigers, and bears. (Sorry.) He had established cat-punching skills, is what I'm saying. Maybe that cat had some of the same training.

I know some of you, the cat people in the audience, are probably thinking if you threw Mittens or Captain Tabby or whatever the hell you name those things at my head, and you might be right, but I'm not Batman. Also, I bet you'd really have to throw your beloved cat. Hard. Catwoman gives him a nice soft lob, and the cat does the rest.

OK, let it go. While Batman's...engaged...Catwoman escapes by swinging away on the same Bat-rope Batman swung in on. Huh? I'm pretty used to the animated series, more 90's style Bat-grapple things; not ropes that apparently, Batman once left lying around Gotham the same way Spider-Man leaves webbing everywhere.

(A thought occurs: how come no one just follows the webbing? I know it dissolves, but you could find a line before it does. I suppose you'd have to be able to see the webs in the dark, then have an idea of his path from building to building...what do you mean, you wouldn't need to, we already know who he is?)

Rrr. So, either Batman didn't bring another rope, or Selina disappeared like the ninja. Or Bats was so impressed he forgot to go chase her, which I would kind of enjoy, honestly. Maybe Bats had to make sure the cat was captured before going after her, because if that cat could give him that much trouble, it could probably take out a Gotham SWAT team. However this happened, I'd leave this one off of the highlight reel. Or the report to Commissioner Gordon. In fact, if Selina did end up in jail, I would try to have her put in solitary: if this incident got out, next thing you know Penguin, Killer Croc, and Man-Bat are throwing penguins, crocodiles, and bats at Batman's head.

From Batman #323, "Shadow of the Cat!" Written by Len Wein, art by Irv Novick and Bob Smith.

1 comment:

Marc Burkhardt said...

It's been established that, Dark Knight or no, it's pretty easy to clock Batman - lobbed cat or no.