Monday, November 06, 2006

Let me tell all about my best friend...


From Avengers #148, "20,000 Leagues Under Justice!" Written by Steve Englehart, art by George Perez and S. Grainger. In another meeting with the Squadron Supreme, Captain America and Iron Man square up against Green Lantern and Flash analogs Dr. Spectrum and the Whizzer. Wow, that was the best fast guy name they could come up with back then, but considering that 'Kid Flash' is probably the third best one, it does sink pretty quickly there.

I don't think I'm advocating the return to best friend status for Cap and Shellhead, if anyone still refers to Iron Man as Shellhead, but the fact is they did lock horns a fair amount over the years in the Avengers. And while my personal favorite Avengers lineups include them both, there have been lots of occasions where one or neither were on board. The times with neither? Usually not the highlight reel, yet somehow they went with that for the short-lived Avengers a few years back.

In other news, I'm almost finished with that godforsaken basement, which means I might be able to get at the bulk of my comics again. It's a minor inconvenience, but to have an idea for a post, know exactly what issue it's in, and then realize it's buried under three layers of boxes and a disassembled bookshelf...grr. Of course, now I'm going to find that comic and be completely disappointed that it looked better in my mind, but that happens sometimes. Now if I just can get the drywall dust off the action figures...

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Heehee. I love that the faux Green Lantern, Dr. Spectrum, STILL has a nice butt shot. You just can't get away from it.

Marc Burkhardt said...

Even the villains were pals in the old days!

Good times, good times ...