Friday, March 09, 2007

I should be more jaded, but I'm excited for this.
From a house ad, I have no idea who drew this.
--plus this--
From Micronauts #56, Mantlo, Guice, Jones, and Grainger.
--and this? OK, fine, whatever.
From Rocket Raccoon #1, Mantlo again, Mignola, and Gordon.
I don't know how Keith Giffen has time for Annihilation: Conquest – Starlord on top of his DC work, but I'm looking forward to it. Even the vaguest, most half-assed reason for all these characters to be in the same book is fine by me. How Bug got out of the Microverse and full-sized though, he'd better have a good explanation for that.

I'm not as big a fan of Mantis (although I liked her in the 80's Silver Surfer) or Deathcry, but I could think of one of Marvel's space characters I'd love to have back: Cerise, from Alan Davis' second run on Excalibur.
Oddly, I think Kitty is drawn more like Cerise now.
She was just this weird statuesque alien woman who showed up one day and pretty quickly became part of the team. She had bizarre, almost feather-like hair; solid-light powers or weapons, and hooked up with Nightcrawler in short order. After Davis left the book, Cerise was written out almost immediately, but I think she made a cameo in Annihilation somewhere...

Actually, now that I think about it, Cerise also made a return appearance in the Maximum Security crossover. That was around the time when Nightcrawler was going to become a priest (my least favorite storyline ever) and he shoots down her advances. Which is absolutely damn idiotic. Seriously, it almost makes the rest of Kurt's priest storyline pale in comparison, and there is a lot of stupid in there.

So, it'd be fun if Cerise got a spot on this team; and if I had a vote, I'd get a Recorder in there as well. I know DC's got more space characters, but I should be able to think of some others that deserve a shot at the comeback. Don't say Rom. It'd be swell, but we all know it's not gonna happen. Not unless you win the lottery, buy Parker Brothers (or the rights to Rom: Spaceknight from them) and give Marvel the rights free and clear. And even then, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Think of someone else. Hell, if you can make Bug regular-sized, make Shuma-Gorath smaller and get him in there: players of the old Marvel Super Heroes arcade game know what I mean.

Cerise panels from Excalibur #62, "Of Birth, Death and the Confused, Painful Bit in Between" Written and pencilled by Alan Davis, inks/pencils by Mark Farmer.

No comments: