Sunday, March 11, 2007

Typically, I'm not the most hirsute of individuals (translated: it takes me about three days to get a five o'clock shadow) but I've been taking my wife's dog, Sugarpie, outside to go to the bathroom at five in the morning. That's super-rewarding, taking an extremely yippy little dog outside so he can try to stand on my feet since the ground's too cold for his itty paws. Oh, I complain but I don't mind doing that for the wife, but I haven't had time to shave before work.

On occasion in the past, I would grow a horrible goatee; and once, a not-spectacular mustache. (My dad has a substantial mustache, but I was hoping to grow the Yukon Cornelius.) I've never tried to grow a beard before, mostly because I don't like the itching, but also because I'd want the awesome Walt Simonson Thor beard, where I'd probably end up with this:Art Adams, from X-Men Annual #9
Thinking about beards and all reminded my of my second-favorite battle tag from Sgt. Rock, Wild Man. And as luck would have it, these pages had the tail end of the story of my favorite battle tag, Ice Cream Soldier:
How long is that trip? And that book?
Ah, for the good old days, when apparently a beard was not a symbol of masculinity. From DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #18, reprinting "Battle Tags for Easy Company!" Written by Robert Kanigher, art by Joe Kubert. I've never served in the military, but I've sometimes wondered what my battle tag might have been, if I got one. Of course, you can't pick your own tag, you have to earn it; so I wonder if "Slackass" is one word or two...

No comments: