Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hey, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen opens today...

Next, Prime started yelling, 'Decepticon!' at his own arm and shot it...
...and yeah, I'll be waiting until it gets to the dollar theatre, yeah. Or, if the kids and I are lucky, the drive-in when we're on vacation! That won't really make the movie better, but yay, drive-in!

Come to think of it, the Oldest and I saw the first one at said dollar theatre, too. He's getting excited, and picked up a couple new figures last Friday: Bumblebee and a Brawl...I think he's Brawl, anyway. We laughed pretty hard at Wheelie, and I also did not care for the unicycle-bot, whatever the blue motorcycle one was called. And we watched the first Transformers DVD: I don't hate it, but I did have to fast-forward through Michael Bay's extended loving homages to Top Gun the military, any scenes with Anthony Anderson...or John Turturro...or most of the human characters. (Sam's arrest, and the intelligence agents' subplot, were especially painful.)

Also, if I hadn't been watching it with a minor, here's a little drinking game you can play: drink every time you see an actor from some Fox show! "Thas's...that's that guy...secret service guy on 24. Yay, Uncle Bernie! And that kid was on Buffy like twenny years ago...hey, it's Sucre! Was he killed on Prison Break? And why is this bottle empty?" (Was Buffy ever on Fox? Ah, whatever.)


No disrespect to Hugo Weaving, but Megatron's funnier if you read it in Frank Welker's voice, and I can almost hear it.

So, while I enjoy the toys and Slurpees and occasional jest at its expense, it's safe to say, I'm not overly excited for Revenge of the Fallen. I'm not as not excited as Topless Robot, though. Granted, they have a lot of valid reasons to be pissed; but it's an unfortunate effect of the internet: Look, I've never met Michael Bay. I think I've only seen one other of his films, Pearl Harbor, and I was drifting in and out of it. I've never listened to his director's commentary, haven't read or seen a lot of interviews with him, and am not positive I could pick him out of a line-up of directors. ("Wait, aren't you Uwe Boll?") And yet I'm 90, 95% positive Michael Bay is a colossal douchebag. That makes me a little sad, because I could be wrong prejudging him, and Bay the person could have nothing to do with his work. Maybe Bay supports orphans or saves puppies or meditates daily or knits. I don't know, so it doesn't seem fair to think that.

Still, 90, 95% positive. I'll see Transformers 2 when I see it, and I hope the Oldest likes it.

A question--non-snarky this time, 'kay? In interviews lately, Shia LeBeouf was talking about getting gouged in the head with a bigass spike during a stunt. According to the story, he walked it off, got some stitches, and was filming a couple hours later. The story sounds like a badge of honor for Shia, and that's great; but...shouldn't he be kind of pissed that he got hurt? I know there's a risk of danger in stunts for a movie like that, but don't they try to minimize the chance of face-stabbery? Plus, I'm sure most of you reading this, if you got stabbed in the face at work--hell, if I got poked a little--you would take the rest of the day off and possibly consider suing, depending on the degree and the circumstances. Of course, you say, you're in a field where workers can reasonably expect not to get face-stabbed...maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Two short ones this time, but maybe I'll have something up later. Actually, I'm planning that vacation, and trying to get some backlog stocked up...I didn't really talk about these figures, either, but I think we'll come back to them, OK?

2 comments:

chiasaur11 said...

Oddly, thanks to the (surprisingly excellent) Transformers Animated, I now hear every Megatron voiced by Corey Burton. This is made more awkward by also hearing him as Ratchet and Shockwave.

SallyP said...

I haven't even seen Transformers, and I must say that I haven't suffered in the meantime.