Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"A League of their Own"

Apparently, the green screen is down today...


I am so sorry about that title, but it works. Click to enlarge, and more pages after the break!


This strip fell into place since I was trying to come up with a Nova-centric story...and failing miserably. Even with Essential Nova next to me, and a passing familiarity with the character from New Warriors and his later solo book, I had no idea what his current characterization was. I believe his initial personality was supposed to be an inversion of the Peter Parker formula, so Rich was a jock; the somewhat rarely found in fiction jock-that's-not-also-a-bully. (Which made Rich's Flash Thompson analog a nerd, who would attack Rich with brutal, hurtful, words.)

I also recall Nova was after Namorita back in the day, but he seemed like a bit of a hound anyway. And...that was it. Look, I was more of a Quasar fan, all right? And Quasar would've worked better for what I had wanted to do; some Green Lantern Corps fun. Nova and Hal Jordan are slightly too similiar for my original idea, but then I thought, if Nova is a Green Lantern analog...

There were a couple episodes of Justice League Unlimited, ("The Terror Beyond" and "Wake the Dead") where a very Defenders-like batch of characters appears: Hawkgirl, Dr. Fate, Amazo, Aquaman, and Solomon Grundy. And I thought, well, could I put together an analog Justice League? (The Squadron Supreme wouldn't work, they're getting action figures never and ever.) If I come up with something else for this group, I'll come back to it.


6 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

ROFLMAO!!! :-D

CalvinPitt said...

Now I want to see a team with Nova, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Namor, and Quicksilver.

Nova's still has a little of the Spidey-style glibness in him, but he comes off as a seasoned veteran in battle, who can lead others and remain cool under fire. He even knows when to negotiate.

When Hal stops punching him, Rich could point out the Nova Corps produces heroes who save the universe from those who want to destroy it, while the Green Lantern Corps just produces people who skip the saving, and jump straight to destroying it themselves, if Hal, Sinestro and the Manhunter robots are any indication.

MrGBH said...

There's one major difference between the JLA and their Marvel counterparts..... I would actually read the Marvel version.

Saranga said...

Ha! Very good.

SallyP said...

I laughed and laughed. You write such a perfect Hal.

Unknown said...

Googum, this is one of the funniest photocomics you've ever done. Bravo!