Friday, April 16, 2010

Retro Toy Week: Robotech Veritech!


How many of you watched Robotech, or Macross? OK, how many of you didn't watch it until you were in your thirties? Uh-huh, that's what I thought. Thanks to the vagaries of programming in my area, I think it was only on at like 5:30 in the morning, on odd days. I read a few of the Comico adaptations, but it would be years before I could borrow a friend's tapes and see the whole series. About twenty minutes after that, it came out on DVD...

So today, we've got Toynami's Roy Fokker VF-1S super-poseable action figure! This one isn't transformable, but it's a lot more articulated than most of the Veritech figures that had come out before. "Super-poseable" might be a slight exaggeration, though, since the hips don't have a ton of range to the sides, but it's still a big step up. Also, there's lots of little touches like the moving rear after-burners and head mounted guns.

Fokker's fighter also came with five interchangeable hands, which I know I still have around here somewhere. I always liked the Veritech design, and Fokker's skull-and-crossbones logo was the coolest; but I always preferred my giant robots to have a face.
Grrr!
From 2002, this one's still a nice display piece. Just don't drop a hundred bucks on Amazon for him!

No comments: