Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Fifth Annual, Random Happenstance, Year in Toys!


Not that this was a completely bad year, but did this year seem...like a hundred years long? Maybe not that long, but loooooonnnnnnggg? I was drinking out of my War Machine Slurpee cup, and had to check the date on the bottom: I can't believe Iron Man 2 came out this year. Hell, it feels like the DVD came out years ago!

Well, it's over now, so it's time to review what I bought, in terms of action figures, for 2010! This is always one of my favorite posts of the year, so let's get started!

For new readers: next to my desk at work is a little yellow notebook, in which I have been keeping a running total of every action figure or toy I buy. I started December 2005 and haven't filled it yet, so apparently I'm not buying enough figures. Hopefully, each entry has the figure, the line, the price, and where I bought it; and possibly a link to a cartoon or strip that toy was used in. Unless that figure's unloved or unphotogenic, I guess.

As always, most of this list was kept up at OAFE.net, and here's links for 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006. Five years worth of totals! Why, in theory you could get all sorts of interesting statistical data out of that! You could. I'm not.


1-7 MU Goliath/Iron Man, $13.48, Wal-Mart; Frosty the Snowman, $3.75, Toys R Us.

1-14 DCUC Hawkgirl, Toys R Us; MU Skrull Giant-Man/Captain America (Bucky), $13.48, Wal-Mart.



1-15 DCUC Deadshot, Fred Meyers, $9.99.

1-21 Mezco Heroes Claude, Mr. Linderman, $9 total, Hastings.

1-29 ML Camo Punisher, $1.63, Wal-Mart; DCIH Manhunter and Qwardian, $1.19 each, DCD Geo-Force, $3.40, $5.78 total, the Comic Book Shop.

1-30 ML Danger, 3 Hydra Agents, DCD Billy Batson & Hoppy (ML $2.39 each, Billy $3.20) $12.76 total, Comic Book Shop. MLFF Thing, Silver Surfer, $7.89 each, $15.78 total, White Elephant. Completed Ronan the Accuser!

2-3 HML Hydra Agent, $2.39, Comic Book Shop.

2-5 Playmates Terminator: Salvation Marcus, $1, Ross. And a dollar is about right...

2-9 Playmates Star Trek (3 3/4) Spock, $2.57; G.I. Joe movie Shipwreck, $2.57. Why another Spock? For a headswap with Cadet McCoy; blue-shirted McCoy, boom, done. Think I've got enough bridge pieces now, too.

2-12 G.I. Joe Sgt. Stone, $2.57, Fred Meyer.

2-13 Star Trek old Spock, $2.57, Fred Meyer; HML Wolverine & Forge, $10, Pirates of the Caribbean Sao Feng, $2, Ross.

2-14 Wolverine (yellow costume) $3.24, Fred Meyer. Maverick, $2, Wal-Mart.

2-15 5 DCIH Manhunters, $1.19 each, DCD Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind, $3.20, total $9.15, the Comic Book Shop.

2-19 G.I. Joe Pit Commando, $2.57, Fred Meyer.

2-20 Shocker Toys Scud, $16.99, Hastings. Didn't even glance at the price on that one when I saw him, just grabbed him and ran for the register, since I'd never seen him at retail. Loved that comic, love the figure.

2-23 DCUC Question, $16.99 (plus $7.39 postage), Big Bad Toy Store.

2-25 Hot Wheels Ecto-1, $.97, Wal-Mart. You know, I'm not even a big Ghostbusters fan, but it's a nice little display piece for my cube at work, something people might recognize.

2-26 Another DCIH Manhunter, $1.29, the Comic Book Shop.

Wolverine: Origins Iceman and Gambit, $2.49 each, Wolverine Animated Colossus, $3.24; total $8.94, Shopko.


3-6 Hasbro Secret Wars Nightcrawler and Storm, $12.88; IM War Machine (comic), $6.88, Wal-Mart.


3-8 Avatar Col. Quaritch, Dr. Augustine, and Cpl. Wainfleet, $.75 each, $2.45 total, Wal-Mart.

3-15 DCUC Steel, $10.39, G.I. Joe Heavy Duty, $3.34, Fred Meyer. Steel amuses me because he's a bit of a sad case: in DC continuity, they're on their third guy named Steel, a family legacy of metal bones/skin and getting killed off for drama. Plus, in a world with "the Man of Steel," Steel is a crummy codename.

3-22 Marvel Universe Thor, $7.88, Wal-Mart. Nice, it's the sort of figure that almost makes up for the MIA Legends. Almost...

3-25 Playmates Terminator, $2.56, Fred Meyer. (I forget which one, 3 3/4 inch, silver? They aren't great, yet there's this terrible temptation to drop ten bucks on a little squad of them.)

3-26 G.I. Joe General Hawk, $3, K-Mart.

4-9 Iron Man Mark I (comic) and Hypervelocity, $10.99, Toys R Us.

4-10 G.I. Joe Cover Girl $2.78, Terminator $2.78, Fred Meyer.

4-15 Hasbro Secret Wars Nightcrawler/Storm (spare!) $15.99; Hellboy 2 Angel of Death and Princess Nuala, $3.44 each, Raiders of the Lost Ark Belloq $2.44; total $25.31, Suncoast.

4-17 Star Wars X-Wing Pilot Luke, $6; Handful of Heroes, $5.44, Wal-Mart. (Punisher, Nightcrawler, Spidey crouched on big bird head, old gray Iron Man in bright orange, 2 Hulks and a Wolvie.)

4-18 Star Wars Comic Pack Luke/Lumiya, $13.49, Shopko.

5-5 Indiana Jones Col. Dovchenko, $2.75, Hastings. Not bad, although I think I just wanted the crate and goblet...

5-7 MU Bucky, $7.88, Wal-Mart.

5-11 Secret Wars Ultron/Mr. Fantastic, $7.61, Wal-Mart.

5-13 Hasbro Secret Wars Thor/Enchantress, $7.61, Wal-Mart.

5-21 Yard sale: vintage Star Wars Darth Vader, two Stormtroopers, Walrus Man, X-Wing Luke, Hoth Luke, Pruneface, Tie Fighter Pilot, and two skiff guys; vintage Battlestar Galactica Adama, Knight Rider Michael Knight, and Karate Kid Mr. Miyagi; and G.I. Joe Duke, Flash, Barbeque (maybe?), and Mutt: five bucks. With a Fisher-Price school bus and a dinosaur for my youngest!

5-22 Yard sale: Dr. Robotnik, $.25.

5-23 IJ Mutt Williams (jacket), $2.25, Hastings.

5-31 DCUC Electric Blue Superman, $14.99, Target (MT). Probably could've got him for $9.99 two years ago, but finally completed Gorilla Grodd, some three years after getting the first part!

6-3 DCUC Blue Devil, $16.99, the Comic Book Shop.

6-9 A-Team B.A. Baracus, $5.99; G.I. Joe Baroness and 4 Neo-Vipers, $1.76 each; total $14.79, Target.

6-11 G.I. Joe Storm Shadow and 2 Neo-Vipers, $5.28 total, Target.

Over the weekend, yard sale stuff: a Cobra vehicle in fair shape, some Ninja Power Rangers, a Beast Wars Megatron (a mom chiselled a buck out of me for that one, but I really like the old Megs that used to talk to his dinosaur-head hand; a friend used to nail his voice), some 200X MOTU (Sy-Klone!), and a Star Wars Republic Gunship. That last was three bucks, but missing the top guns, the drop-door, and the canopy: right now, it looks like it should be on blocks in Luke's yard. Under ten bucks for the whole lot.

6-15 Mezco Wolfman bloody version, $3.23, Blockbuster exclusive.

6-17 Transformers Trenchmouth and Slapdash, $3; NEST Battlefield Bumblebee and Infiltration Soundwave, $3; Wal-Mart.

MU Kitty Pryde, $9.99; NECA Clash of the Titans Perseus, $4.94; Suncoast.

6-20 G.I. Joe movie Destro, Baroness, 2 Neo-Vipers, $.88 each. $3.83, Target.

6-21 Hasbro Hulkbuster Iron Man, $6.96, Wal-Mart.


6-30 DCUC Negative Man (plain bandaged head) $14.04, K-Mart. Not a bad price, although now I wonder if there'll ever be an Elasti-girl to finish the team. (And don't mention Mento to me.)

7-3 Indiana Jones (Crystal Skull version) $2.83, Fred Meyers.

7-6 Indiana Jones Ugha Warrior, $2.83, Fred Meyers.

7-12 Axe of Hordes, from Poe Ghostal, $10+postage. Dig it.

7-14 Avatar Amp Suit, $10, Grocery Outlet.

7-31 Prince of Persia Dastan w/Aksh (the horse), $3.24; G.I. Joe Cobra Viper Commando with Serpent Armor, $2.48; $5.73 Target.

Secret Wars Dr. Doom/Absorbing Man/Wasp, $12.88, Wal-Mart. (Montana, no tax!)

8-8 Transformers Ravage, $4.99, Target. At Target back home, A-Team Hannibal, $1.48, and Van, $6.24. $8.39 total.

8-9 PoP Zolm, $1.98; A-Team Lynch, $1.48; total $3.70, Target.

Indiana Jones Sallah, $2.83, Fred Meyer. (I was going to buy him, then didn't, set him down, and it didn't turn up again until now...)

8-10 Marvel Universe Thor, Cage, Namor, and Silver Iron Man, $2.50 each, $11.20 total, Wal-Mart. (Whoo!)

8-11 MU Classic Iron Man, $2.50, Walmart.

8-13 S.T.O.P. vs. S.K.U.M. Lady Lead and Skull Hawk, $1 each, Dollar Store. These are abominations.

8-29 Star Wars Jodo Kast, $8.99, Secret Wars Hawkeye/Piledriver, $8.40; $18.86 total, Kmart.

8-31 Masters of the Universe Castle Greyskull, with vintage Man-E-Faces...and part of a cycle-thing. $22.31 with postage, eBay. It's not all there, but still not in bad shape, and I just wanted it as a backdrop.

9-2 Hasbro super-poseable Spider-Man, $2.99, Shopko.

9-3 DCUC Forager (no C&C) $5.99, Mojo parts, $3; $8.99 total, Fusion Odyssey.

9-9 NECA Dante, $6.56 with postage, eBay. DCUC Spectre (glow in the dark) $10.39, Fred Meyer.

9-13 Heroclix Nightcrawler, $10, the Comic Book Shop.

9-18 Futurama Professor Farnsworth, $12.99, Mezco Spirit thug Adios, $3.44; total $16.43, Suncoast.

9-22 G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra Dusty and Recondo, $6.99 each, $13.98 total, Target.

9-29 DCIH Manhunter, $1.19, Comic Book Shop. (Picked it up when I went to get the last Franken-Castle issue.)

10-2 NECA Ninja Gaiden Ryu Hayabusa, $9.99, Toys R Us.

LOTR Ringwraith, $3.99, DC Direct Brainiac 5, $5.99, total 9.98, Fusion Odyssey.

Yard Sale: Rodney Copperbottom, camo Batman, and Peter Pan; and a Plug-n-Play Ms. Pacman/Galaga/Xevious stick, $4. Am I counting the stick? Eh, I guess.

10-5 Star Wars Comic Pack Deena Shan/Lt. Jundland, $2.00; 2 Hot Wheels Batmobiles, .97 each, total $4.30, Wal-Mart. Man, they hung on to that two-pack at full price forever, then gave up. And I always pick up the Hot Wheels Batmobiles for me, the kids, my nephews; since I think Batmobiles should be standard issue for any little kid.

10-5 Stan Winston's Medieval Trakk, $10.00 shipped, eBay. I like it.

10-9 DCUC Desaad, $12.99, Fred Meyer. $14.12 with tax.

10-13 DCUC OMAC and Martian Manhunter, $12.99 each, K-Mart, $28.24 total.

10-15 DCUC Jemm, $8.69, Kmart.

10-16 DCUC Sinestro Corps Batman, $8.69, Kmart.

10-17 DCUC Starman (classic), $8.69, Kmart.


10-22 Marvel Legends Valkyrie and Hulk, $24.99, Toys R Us. I like Val, but I've wanted that one for a while now, and may just be giddy to have a new ML. She shows up in a ton of homemade strips later...

10-24 DCUC13 Blue Beetle, $2.99, Kmart.

10-26 DCUC Golden Pharaoh, $2.94, Kmart.

10-27 DCUC Cyclotron, $2.94, Kmart.

11-10 Spinmaster Tron deluxe Sam Flynn, $7.50, Wal-Mart.

11-15 DCUC Dr. Mid-Nite, Eclipso, and Copperhead, $.99 each, $7.42 with postage, eBay. No Darkseid parts, but oh well.


11-20 DCUC Green Arrow and Black Canary, $7.50 each, total $16.20 (or so...) Target. Man, glad I didn't pay full price for them this summer!

DCUC Kamandi, $14.99, total $16.20, Wal-Mart.

11-26 NECA Medieval Ash, $9.99 Toys R Us; Shocker Toys Maxx, $10.99, Hastings.

12-3 Star Wars vintage ROTJ R2-D2 (with drink tray!) $6.42, Fred Meyers. Kingdom Come Hawkman, $5.99, old Kenner Predator, $5, Fusion Odyssey.

12-15 DCUC Zatanna, $14.99, Wal-Mart.

12-18 DCUC Validus right leg, eBay, $5.94 with postage.

12-27 Green Lantern box set (gray-haired Hal, John, GL Sinestro, Tomar-Re, and Guy Gardner) $29.50, DCUC Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) $11, total $40.50, Wal-Mart. (They were all Wal-Mart exclusives.)

DC Direct Justice League International G'nort, $12.99, Suncoast.

2010 total: $966.10. 2009: $558.16. 2008: $555.16. 2007: $426.00. 2006: $620.00.

Whoa, Nellie, that's a lot of toys! Reckon I'm either trying to help the economy, or trying to get as many figures as I can before society collapses, or we run out of plastic and have to make toys outta potatoes.

Actually, I realized recently that I've been spending far less than usual on new comics, and have rolled that into the figures. For example, how many Green Arrow comics did I buy last year? None. Yet I was quite pleased to get his toy. Hmm.

For a lot of this year and a good chunk of 2009, I've felt like in terms of the figures I buy, it's been a war on two fronts, between the 3.75 inch (or thereabouts) scale of your G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Marvel Universe figures; and roughly 1/6 scale, like DCUC or Marvel Legends. While I prefer the later, for a good stretch there, it felt like the smaller figures were the only game in town. As it stands right this minute, I'm trying to avoid 3.75's and not split my focus...and if you've looked at this list, you can guess how well that might work.

Since this is already an absurdly long post, we'll save looking at the favorites, trends, and the stinker of 2010 until later in the week. If you have a year-end list of your own, leave a note in the comments!

5 comments:

SallyP said...

Gadzooks, but these were fabulous. You really HAVE bought a lot of figures!

And thank you for the Green Lantern one...it...it's as though it was just for me.

Although I have to admit that the Spectre/Eclipso one made me laugh out loud.

googum said...

Sally!
Expect a ton of GL stuff coming up. I'm trying to sort out how I feel about that, since Hal used to be my GL, and I couldn't stand G'nort, and that seems to have reversed...

James!
I usually think of Shiera as the least-bitchy Leaguer, but sometimes...and how many kids has Ollie (and not Canary)had, anyway? Between two and five, I thought.

SUBZERO said...

Impressive list. I´m not that much into the toys myself as I´m still looking for a decent Power Girl figure at conventions. Here in Germany they only have the usual suspects which means none for which I would pay.

Congrats on the five year benchmark, I´m reaching that one myself in April.

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

You didn't buy a Jonah Hex this year?!?! What the HELL'S wrong with you!?!?!?!

googum said...

Subzero,
Yeah, I liked the DCUC Power Girl...don't seem to use her in the homemade strips very often, though. Maybe when I get more of a Justice Society going. And congrats to you too!

Dwayne!
Not yet: the movie Hex is still floating around here, I'm just lowballing the price on him. Might be able to get him for five bucks if I'm lucky. But, DCUC has a Hex coming shortly as well, and I'll pretty likely get him right away.
But I might have a short Hex panel coming up, since I have questions about the movie bleeding back into the comic...