Thursday, June 16, 2016

Ah, nothing like a satisfying conclusion. No, I mean nothing like a satisfying conclusion.


I had actually intended to re-read this series one of these days; but found a cheap copy of the last one. And now I can't remember if this was intended as a mini-series from the start, or if the writing was on the wall and the bloom off the rose by this point...From 2003, Battle of the Planets #12, "Destroy All Monsters, part 2" Written by Munier Sharrieff, pencils by Wilson Tortosa, cover and art direction by Alex Ross.

This was of course based on the classic cartoon, which was a dubbed and edited version of the original Japanese Kagaku Ninja Tai Gatchaman. Five teenaged ninjas with bird costumes and individualized weapons and vehicles are earth's only real line of defense against the invading alien Galactor. That's breaking it down to its most basic elements, but the series is still much beloved to this day by old men who watched it in the 70's fans and influenced numerous other series: any Power Rangers thing you see with five team members probably descended from here.

The title page proclaims "The Explosive Conclusion!" and there is a good chunk of action to be had here; but there's also a lot of open plot threads. More than just leaving the door open for a sequel, like followup was all but certain. And yet I think this was about it, and I'm not sure why: it may have gotten the ball rolling for more profitable DVD sales (I bought the box set with Jason figure advertised in the back!) or the license cost may have been more than Top Cow was willing to pay. I didn't think this was a bad little series, since I fall squarely into the target audience for it, but wish there was a bit more closure here.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I remember the solicits/ads for this in Wizard magazine. Despite Alex Ross' efforts, this series obviously didn't take off like how he expected.
Definitely before my time, although I remember watching a re-run or two back when Adult Swim first premiered.
My generation was more into Voltron, and those guys, but if handled right, there's no reason why this franchise can't be a success again.

SallyP said...

So... those visors in their helmets... do they end up whacking them against door jamb, or counter tops... or each other's faces much?